Loading

Talk to Other Fastpitch Softball Fanatics ... for FREE!

Register today and get the uncensored, and yes, the sometimes uncomfortable truth from real softball fanatics who live and die on the softball fields.
Signup to Discuss FastPitch Forum
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: vinyl type stickers or spraypainting your helmet

  1. #1
    I'm a fan SSmom83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default vinyl type stickers or spraypainting your helmet



    is this at all against regulations for IESA rules?

    I contacted our athletic director for Jr High & he pointed to 2 websites (one was IESA and the other was NFHS.org) I searched & found nothing specifically stating anything about their batting helmets except it had to be worn while batting.

    We were thinking of getting our daughter a new helmet (as she has worn this one since t-ball & is now in Jr High - can't believe it still fits, lol) and getting it decorated with vinyl appliques with a clear coat over or having it professionally spray painted. But of course didn't want to spend the money if its against regulations.

    And I'm in Illinois if that matters.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Amy in AZ.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    8,341
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,473 Posts

    Default

    In AZ. (HS association) my DD couldn't wear hers because it had to be one primary color. I don't know if that helps or not, but it might help you know what to look for. Whether a MS umpire would ever call it, might be the question.

  3. #3
    Softball Junkie Ajaywill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    637
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 232 Times in 157 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy in AZ. View Post
    In AZ. (HS association) my DD couldn't wear hers because it had to be one primary color. I don't know if that helps or not, but it might help you know what to look for. Whether a MS umpire would ever call it, might be the question.
    Amy - In NFHS, which is the governing body of Arizona HS softball, there is no rule stating that the helmet must be one primary color.

    As to the OP, I don't know what IESA is or what rules they play under, but the only organization that I have heard of that does not allow painted or stickered batting helmets is Little League. That was a few years ago and they may have changed.

  4. #4
    Certified softball maniac YOCOACH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Right Here For Now
    Posts
    2,208
    Thanks
    1,188
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 786 Posts

    Default

    Just one thing to think about besides the rule book. If you alter the helmet in any way, i.e. painting it, the warranty is void. In most instances, it affects no one. However, if by chance you're DD is the one in a million that gets injured wearing that helmet, if it's painted, you have no legal recourse. At least that's what I have been told by Easton and Mizuno sales reps.
    Last edited by YOCOACH; 10-26-2011 at 11:58 AM.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Amy in AZ.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    8,341
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,473 Posts

    Default

    My DD's helmet was tossed by a Flagstaff ump, it was 6 years ago. i thought that she was saying that it had to be closer to uniform with all of the other helmets. We got team helmets and didn't wear it after that.

  6. #6
    I can talk softball all day BrianMonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    333
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 78 Times in 52 Posts

    Default

    If there was a serious injury, I bet 10 out of 10 personal injury lawyers would take the case - especially if it's Easton or Mizuno. Easton or Mizuno would very likely settle out of court for more than a few dollars.

    Quote Originally Posted by YOCOACH View Post
    Just one thing to think about besides the rule book. If you alter the helmet in any way, i.e. painting it, the warranty is void. In most instances, it affects no one. However, if by chance you're DD is the one in a million that gets injured wearing that helmet, if it's painted, you have no legal recourse. At least that's what I have been told by Easton and Mizuno sales reps.

  7. #7
    MTR
    MTR is offline
    Certified softball maniac MTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,809
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 498 Times in 354 Posts

    Default

    Mizuno doesn't list any warranties for the batting helmets. Easton and Schutt does not mention the voiding of warranties, but Schutt does give advice on painting, but still did not mention the voiding of a warranty.

    If there is an issue, they are doing a decent job of not making it easily available on line.

    A decal should have zero affect on the product and, as noted by others, there is no rules against painted/stickered helmets.

  8. #8
    I can talk softball all day honus14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajaywill View Post
    Amy - In NFHS, which is the governing body of Arizona HS softball, there is no rule stating that the helmet must be one primary color.

    As to the OP, I don't know what IESA is or what rules they play under, but the only organization that I have heard of that does not allow painted or stickered batting helmets is Little League. That was a few years ago and they may have changed.
    IESA is the Illinois Elementary School Association, which plays under NFHS rules (with a few exceptions that don't apply here). So your answer is correct for the OP as well.

  9. #9
    Checking out the clubhouse arowley1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Billerica, MA
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I saw a handful of helmets in the fall that the girls used all the new Colored Duck Tape (brand name of duct tape) to cover their helmets. Leopard, Zebra, etc. no issue here in Massachusetts.

  10. #10
    Certified softball maniac PA SB Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,532
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked 697 Times in 386 Posts

    Default



    Little League still bans stickers and other modifications to helmets. We had the great idea of selling sponsorships on the team helmets as a fundraiser (just like NASCAR), but then ran into this rule.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
TESTTTT
Segment -- Burn -- Conversion --