Loading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Bad glove arm habit, drills to get rid of it..help.

  1. #1
    Checking out the clubhouse Djanvk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Bad glove arm habit, drills to get rid of it..VIDEO ADDED

    My 14u DD pitcher has developed a bad habit of using her fly/glove arm to open up to the plate, she throws it directly out to the side of her as she gets ready to release. She seems to be using this instead of legs pushing with her hips to open up to the plate.

    Here is a picture of her doing this: LINK To Pic
    Video of her pitching: Video

    Thanks
    Last edited by Djanvk; 06-10-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: updated title added video

  2. #2
    Softball Junkie tojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    516
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    You can have her do her pitching motion with her glove side against a wall. This may not correct the problem but will tell her at what point that her arm starts to leave the powerline. She will have to make a conscience effort to bring the arm down to the glove side. If she has been doing this for some time, it may take a lot of repetitions to overcome the habit.
    I would also work on her stride foot landing toe first.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to tojo For This Useful Post:

    Djanvk (06-08-2012)

  4. #3
    I can talk softball all day 2bucketdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    235
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 30 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    One easy drill that can be done almost anywhere and almost anytime is pitching into her own glove...any drills and all the way to the full motion with leg drive right into her own glove over and over and over...

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2bucketdad For This Useful Post:

    Djanvk (06-08-2012)

  6. #4
    I'm a fan sanchosj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default Bad Glove arm.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bucketdad View Post
    One easy drill that can be done almost anywhere and almost anytime is pitching into her own glove...any drills and all the way to the full motion with leg drive right into her own glove over and over and over...
    Go to fastpitch.tv and look up Bill Hillhouse 183 as he teaches Pitch to your glove from all pitching progressions.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to sanchosj For This Useful Post:

    tmolina (06-05-2012)

  8. #5
    Certified softball maniac nanotech14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,810
    Thanks
    1,325
    Thanked 632 Times in 328 Posts

    Default

    also,in the picture you posted,she looks like she is dragging her foot like a anchor.Needs to get up on her toes,rather then whole side of foot.Also (sanchosj) is spot on about the Hillhouse drill.

  9. #6
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball starsnuffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,550
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 625 Posts

    Default

    The term "open", means that the pitcher is sideways to the catcher, in something that resembles a jumping jack position (or a K). From the pics you posted, it looks like she remains closed (chest facing the catcher) the entire time she pitches. She probably "pulls" her shoulder through as she anchors her back foot, rather then "dropping" her back shoulder as she collapses her rear leg into the the drag staying "open". Her torque and mechanics are making her force her glove arm out to keep her balance. This is just a guess, as there is no video.

    Glove swimming is almost always a result of something earlier in the pitching motion. It's also important to note that many good pitchers swim a little (though not as drastic as this pic).

    -W

  10. #7
    Super Moderator Amy in AZ.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    7,445
    Thanks
    474
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,072 Posts

    Default

    Ouch. I can see why you don't want her doing that. I teach that the glove should be in a similar position as her overhand throw. I bet she isn't doing that, when throwing overhand. So, I would do "over and unders." She steps in front over the plate and throws overhand to you, then underhand, etc.

    Also, in an extreme case like your daughters, I took 2 fiberglass construction poles (Lowes) and put them in the ground beside her and strung a string between them - so, when she would fly out like that, her arm would hit the string.

    Thirdly, work on underhand long toss, so that she has to drive towards you. Good luck.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Amy in AZ. For This Useful Post:

    Djanvk (06-08-2012)

  12. #8
    I'm a fan sanchosj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy in AZ. View Post
    Ouch. I can see why you don't want her doing that. I teach that the glove should be in a similar position as her overhand throw. I bet she isn't doing that, when throwing overhand. So, I would do "over and unders." She steps in front over the plate and throws overhand to you, then underhand, etc.

    Also, in an extreme case like your daughters, I took 2 fiberglass construction poles (Lowes) and put them in the ground beside her and strung a string between them - so, when she would fly out like that, her arm would hit the string.

    Thirdly, work on underhand long toss, so that she has to drive towards you. Good luck.
    With the Overhand throw the glove are is pulled to the chest.With the underhand throw the glove should be coimg down to glove side leg.watch a baseball pitcher then a softball pitcher!!!!!!

  13. #9
    I can talk softball all day tmolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    333
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sanchosj View Post
    Go to fastpitch.tv and look up Bill Hillhouse 183 as he teaches Pitch to your glove from all pitching progressions.
    Its Bill Hillhouse 143 not 183...Thanks for posting this cuz I like the videos..
    Last edited by tmolina; 06-05-2012 at 07:18 PM.

  14. #10
    Certified softball maniac Jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,173
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 292 Times in 165 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starsnuffer View Post
    The term "open", means that the pitcher is sideways to the catcher, in something that resembles a jumping jack position (or a K). From the pics you posted, it looks like she remains closed (chest facing the catcher) the entire time she pitches. She probably "pulls" her shoulder through as she anchors her back foot, rather then "dropping" her back shoulder as she collapses her rear leg into the the drag staying "open". Her torque and mechanics are making her force her glove arm out to keep her balance. This is just a guess, as there is no video.

    Glove swimming is almost always a result of something earlier in the pitching motion. It's also important to note that many good pitchers swim a little (though not as drastic as this pic).

    -W
    Looks this way to me, looks like her shoulders may be closed by the time she releases the ball.
    I would suggest K-drills, wall drills, and sideways one leg drills to get her to feel more open with the shoulders. Get her to whip the arm through and not use the shoulders to throw the ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Segment -- Burn -- Conversion --