Loading

Talk to Other Fastpitch Softball Fanatics ... for FREE!

Register today and get the uncensored, and yes, the sometimes uncomfortable truth from real softball fanatics who live and die on the softball fields.
Signup to Discuss FastPitch Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: leg-slap bruising

  1. #21
    Super Moderator Amy in AZ.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    8,341
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,473 Posts

    Default



    A friend that pitched in men's fastpitch, once told me that if a male pitcher ever slapped his leg like that, all the guys on the opposing team would stand up and start doing the same thing. I wonder if any men slap their leg?

  2. #22
    Certified softball maniac nanotech14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    Thanks
    1,844
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 515 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachFP View Post
    Well then, everyone should slap their leg.
    I didn't say that anybody should slap their leg,my daughter was,but not going to anymore,we are working on getting rid of that.Thats just like saying " just because the Orioles,cant seem to win,that everybody in Baltimore should lose too"

  3. #23
    Certified softball maniac RubberBiscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,368
    Thanks
    1,007
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 634 Posts

    Default

    bobbyb - the timing of the leg hit is exactly like Cats.
    But my DD hits the leg harder.
    But of course my DD throws better ;-)

  4. #24
    Softball Junkie CoachFP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    877
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 136 Times in 104 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy in AZ. View Post
    A friend that pitched in men's fastpitch, once told me that if a male pitcher ever slapped his leg like that, all the guys on the opposing team would stand up and start doing the same thing. I wonder if any men slap their leg?
    Men do not slap their legs. They also don't throw screwballs, drop curves or flip change ups. They do not pre motion swing their arms back because it shows the hitter the ball. They don't drag their push foot with it facing second base. No hello elbows either.

  5. #25
    Certified softball maniac nanotech14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    Thanks
    1,844
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 515 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachFP View Post
    Men do not slap their legs. They also don't throw screwballs, drop curves or flip change ups. They do not pre motion swing their arms back because it shows the hitter the ball. They don't drag their push foot with it facing second base. No hello elbows either.
    And men don't have to work twice as hard to be considered a athlete,or get an recognition for their sport like women and girls do.So whats your point about men?

  6. #26
    Softball Junkie CoachFP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    877
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 136 Times in 104 Posts

    Default

    I would ask you what's your point. I would say that a lot of what girls do was invented by fathers who are living out their athletic dreams through their daughters. They have them throw 300 pitches a day every day. Work out twelve months a year. Try anything that any boob tells them to try. Have them work on 9 different pitches and in the meantime frustrate the heck out of their daughters. One only has to look at the best of the best female pitchers and you will see that they resemble the men more than all of the nonsense that gets thrown around on Boards like these.

  7. #27
    Certified softball maniac nanotech14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    Thanks
    1,844
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 515 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachFP View Post
    I would ask you what's your point. I would say that a lot of what girls do was invented by fathers who are living out their athletic dreams through their daughters. They have them throw 300 pitches a day every day. Work out twelve months a year. Try anything that any boob tells them to try. Have them work on 9 different pitches and in the meantime frustrate the heck out of their daughters. One only has to look at the best of the best female pitchers and you will see that they resemble the men more than all of the nonsense that gets thrown around on Boards like these.
    Well alrighty then,well my daughter throws 500 pitches a day and works out everyday,just kidding,well my dream was to eat chips and drink sodas on my own leather couch watching reruns of I love Lucy!But I don't have time because my daughter wants to play softball and other sports.She is the one with her own dream,and by the way,I never went along with what some of these fathers do,thats why my daughter doesn't do the hello elbow and why we went to Bill Hillhouse and she goes to batting coach,that played baseball at a higher level then these dads.I do see your point and I agree,but it seemed like you where knocking women & girls in your post.As far as the nonsense on these boards go,nobody has ever said that you have to do what is said here,I read and pick and choose what I find helpful and discard the rest.My daughter only throws 2 pitches,peel drop and change up,that Bill has her working on.

  8. #28
    I can talk softball all day bobbyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    424
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 52 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubberBiscuit View Post
    bobbyb - the timing of the leg hit is exactly like Cats.
    But my DD hits the leg harder.
    But of course my DD throws better ;-)
    haha..so she is the KIT (ie Kitten) that I have heard about! You might want to just let her beat that little leg raw!

    Through reading here for many months I took the initiative to tell my DD to try and stop this slapping but she thinks it takes away from her speed.
    I was going to say earlier…that to me…most of them have some reason such as this, or they look kul or its what makes them accurate or gets their rhythm going. When it is of course they don't like change…and like to stay in their comfort zone.

    If showing her the Cat, Finch and others video…from the model threads…that is just a tap rather than a slap…doesn't work…find a indirect approach. Then tell her each time she taps it rather than slaps it…"NOW your starting to look like Cat"!

    Example: Those that used the big wind up. I approach it…indirect now. Like…Ok we are working on striding so no wind ups…just slot the ball on the side and push off and pitch. After they have done it for a while…then tell them about the benefits of continuing to do that…after they KNOW they can still pitch fast, accurate, still look kul…etc.

    Booby

  9. #29
    Certified softball maniac SoftSocDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,075
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 121 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    Have you ever considered that many 8u/10u girls slap because they think it looks or sounds 'cool' or that maybe they think it gives them some sort of psychological edge over the hitters? Then by the time they're 12u/14u, it's become a habit they hold onto.

    A friend of my DD slaps and I remember DD doing it for a few weeks last year. Both said they liked the way it sounded. I was opposed to it for the reason Amy said, because over time, as they get stronger, they're going to hurt their wrists with all those violent slaps.

    Every pitcher has her own style, I know, but I'd encourage her to work the slap out of her motion if it's causing her pain.

  10. #30
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball starsnuffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,573
    Thanks
    327
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 645 Posts

    Default



    There is no reason to slap the leg. This is something that is taught in the first lesson or two for a brand new pitcher to get some idea of timing. Unfortunately, often "good little softball robots" become the best players, end up with useless degrees, and go on to teach pitching, without ever having learned how to teach or become students of pitching. In otherwords, most great pitchers have no idea why they are doing what they are doing, what portions of their mechanics actually mean anything, and what part of their mechanics are bandaids for problems they had when developing. These seem to be the vast majority of pitching instructors.

    Do your own homework and figure out exactly WHY each movement happens, and it's pretty easy to do away with the nonsense after that. Never stop learning.

    -W

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
TESTTTT
Segment -- Burn -- Conversion --