U.S.A./USSSA age chart changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2022
They should just call it like it is, 12U is 12 and under. The day you turn 13, you're ineligible.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2022
We get it, You want to stratify by grade and make it all "School ball".
Oh wait, except for those parents that "red shirt" their kids.
There's no standardization with that either. In our area, the cut-off to begin kindergarten is different between school districts. In NYC you start school if you were born on or before 12/31, so birth year works great for them.
Plenty of other sports leagues go by grade. They work well.

Apr 24, 2024
This is about two major organizations not wanting to play nice and pushing kids to pick sides versus doing what makes sense to make sure more kids play softball and stick with it longer. Having kids play with their schoolmates ONLY helps Softball in the long run. Not sure how ANYBODY can argue that.

Yep, parents with kids who have Jan 1st birthdays want to keep their current advantage of their kids being the oldest and will argue this to death but when you start splitting kids up from their school friends, participation drops. Simple proven fact.

Should they just have enacted it at 8U and going forward have it eventually get all the way to 18U, yes. Did they, no. That's why we are all here arguing. If they had done that, there would be literally NO arguments because nobody would have skin in the game yet.

I do find it comical that people think 4 months, at the absolute max, is what is making or breaking a teams ability to dominate. My kid has a December birthday, so I guess she just gets to be the youngest 12U kid without the benefit of playing with the rest of her teammates in school who can play 6th grade ball. That's a fun double whammy. Thanks USSSA, really doing what's best for the girls.

The fact that USSSA isn't budging and this age cutoff is a real "strength of their organization" as they said in their email, makes them the one causing a rift when some teams are OLDER. One benefit for USSSA teams is that they can complain (when they play unsanctioned events) and get beat by a USA team. Funny they only complain when they lose at those unsanctioned events, not when they win.

Jul 23, 2023
School cutoff dates vary from state to state, and sometimes district to district. Those dates don't necessarily align with either age chart either.

Feb 3, 2023
In Kentucky the KHSAA (Kentucky High School Athletic Association), age rule is set so that if you turn 19 before September 1st of your senior year, you are ineligible to play high school sports.

Our date is a solid September 1, across all classifications, districts and regions.

You are also allowed to start your high school career in the 7th grade. Giving you 6 years of high school playing eligibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2024
Girls with September, October, November and December birthdays have the advantage once school ball starts.
I don't understand what the advantage is. My September birthday daughter will basically be sitting out the spring travel season in 8th grade while waiting for her travel age peers to finish their school season.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2023
Girls with September, October, November and December birthdays have the advantage once school ball starts.

Mine has a December birthday and has no advantage.

She will turn 17 over Christmas break of her senior year.

There are hold back kids in her grade more than 2 years older than she is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80